Whether it's your first bike or you've been riding for years, you must be ready for all the outcomes that come with the riding — from the adventure to the unexpected. Yes, adventure and thrill are all we anticipate, but the worst could happen when cruising the city or hitting the open roads with your motorcycle. And when the unthinkable happens, that's where motorcycle insurance comes in handy.
So, what's in motorcycle insurance? What do I need as a biker? Must I have the policy to enjoy my ride? If these are the questions going through your head, stick on. At Smoller Insurance Agency located in Newton, MA, we have prepared some basics about motorcycle insurance.
What are the types of motorcycle insurance?
Motorcycle insurance is mandatory. Additionally, if your bike is loan-financed, your lender may require you to carry motorcycle insurance until the loan is paid off. There are different types of motorcycle insurance, and each covers you differently. Let's have a look:
- Liability coverage: Protects you against bodily injury and property damages caused to other persons.
- Comprehensive coverage: Protects your bike against non-collision coverages like vandalism, theft, hail, or fire.
- Collision coverage: Protects your motorcycle against accident-related damages. Depending on the severity of the accident, the insurance pays for the repairs or your bike's replacement up to your coverage limit.
- Roadside assistance: Provides services like towing, puncture repair, gas delivery, and battery jumpstarting when your bike is disabled away from home.
- Uninsured /underinsured motorist: If you are involved in a hit-and-run situation or are involved in an accident with a motorist with insufficient or no insurance, this coverage pays for damages and injuries.
- Medical payments: Covers medical expenses for injuries that you and your passengers incur in an accident.
What will affect the cost of my motorcycle insurance?
Motorcycle insurance coverages aren't the same. Insurance companies look at the below factors when computing the auto insurance rate.
- Your age
- The type of the motorcycle
- Motorcycle usage
- Year of motorcycle registration
If you are looking for motorcycle insurance, look no further than Smoller Insurance Agency. Contact us today, and we will make sure you get the right coverage that meets your need.